A seasonal, fresh yet hearty Spanish stew with a lot of protein and an amazing smoky flavour.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 pinch brown sugar
- 1 pinch saffron
- Handful fresh parsley (chopped)
- 400g tomatoes (either tinned or fresh)
- 1/2 red onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 225g butter beans
- 1 red pepper (sliced and chargrilled)
- 50g black olives (roughly chopped)
- Wholemeal pitta breads (grilled)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 50g manchego cheese (vegetarian – leave out if making dish vegan)
- 1 egg (vegetarian – leave out if making dish vegan)
- 3 tbsp vegan chorizo (diced)
1. Prepare all of the ingredients and set aside. If you are using fresh tomatoes then ‘x’ the end with a knife, put in boiling water then cold water, peel and smash. Also at this stage, quarter the red pepper, chargrill, allow to cool and slice. Also at this stage, rub a small amount of olive oil and sea salt into the wholemeal pitta breads.
2. Heat the olive oil and place the red onion and garlic in the pan for around 3 minutes until softening.
3. Place the paprika, oregano, brown sugar, cayenne (if using), sea salt (to taste), black pepper (to taste), saffron and heat for a further minute.
4. Put the red pepper, black olives and butter beans in the pan and warm for 5 minutes.
5. Put the tomatoes, 3/4 of the parsley, 35g manchego (if using) and cook on a low/medium heat for around 12 minutes.
6. Around 3 minutes from the end of the cooking of the tomato base, fry the vegan chorizo and egg (if using) together with grilling the wholemeal pittas for around 1 minute each side.
7. Stir in the vegan chorizo, the remainder of the manchego and place the egg on top of the tomato base (all optional) together with sprinkling the remainder of the parsley.
8. Serve and enjoy!